Whether you are a self-advocate, family member, staff or community partner, membership connects you to others who share your beliefs, concerns and struggles. Your membership also supports the essential programs and services The Arc provides to more than 2,000 individuals annually, as well as our advocacy on behalf of all individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and autism.
As a member of The Arc of the South Shore you are a part of a much larger network – 140,000 members strong – of people committed to creating opportunities for individuals with disabilities. With more than 700 affiliated chapters across the country , The Arc is the largest grassroots movement in the United States dedicated to protecting the rights of this population.
Our work helps shape policies that support independent living opportunities, quality education and full employment for people with disabilities. In short, our advocacy helps people with disabilities create their own lives in the community.
In addition to the above, as a member of The Arc of the South Shore you will also receive the following benefits:
Programs and Services ~ The Arc of the South Shore also provides direct support and services and may be able to assist you with:
- Residential support
- Family support
- Employment programs
- Day services
- Early intervention services
- Personal Care and Adult Foster Care options
- Leisure and recreational programs
Information and Resources ~ As a member of The Arc, you will have access to indispensable information and resources and the opportunity to Be Part of the Progress for people with disabilities and their families. Your membership opens the door to many benefits and services at the local level:
- Information and referral services personalized to address your needs in your local community
- Public policy advocacy for systems change at the state and local level
- Individual advocacy to address education, employment, health care, and other concerns
- Self-advocacy initiatives.
Membership in The Arc of the South Shore will also keep you informed about important organization news, current disability policy issues and valuable online resources. Thanks to the following resources at the local, State and National level, membership in The Arc will keep you up-to-date on the issues that concern you most.
- The Beacon,The Arc of the South Shore’s quarterly newsletter with news directly relevant to our community, program updates, and opportunities to take action
- The Advocate, The Arc of Massachusetts’ quarterly newsletter fills you in State-wide news, events, and advocacy.
- Empower: Real People, Real Progress, a quarterly newsletter focused on The Arc of US’s advocacy initiatives, what’s happening within our movement, disability resources, and more.
- Legislative E-blasts, from The Arc of Massachusetts and The Arc of the South Shore to alert you for opportunities to take action and address iniquities.
- The Arc’s E-newsletter, a bi-monthly e-publication spotlighting public policy and Arc activities.
- Action Alerts, real-time emails letting you know when immediate and mass public action is critical to ensuring the civil rights and necessary supports and services for people with disabilities and their families.